The inspiration for this piece was our biology professor, Dr. Cooke, who loves lobsters and worked with them for years. At the beginning of every class, she shares a lobster fact with us. The project was to make a prop for a teacher, and with her love for lobsters, 3 classmates and I decided to attempt to make an anatomically correct lobster.
Making the claws and having them be anatomically correct posed some serious challenges. Originally, I sketched a jagged shape of what resembled a claw. Then, I extruded it, and began to make little smaller sketches for the teeth of the claw. The way I did it presented some problems, because when I went to fillet it I was getting errors due to the teeth. So, I had to put ellipses and split the body in order to get the roundness of the real claw that I wanted.
After putting the ellipses around both directions to make it rounded, I used a spline to give the appearance of a functioning claw, the claw as a whole came out well.
With the second claw, I had the same approach of drawing a sketch, but this time I made sure the teeth were included in the original.
Yet again, ellipses were added in order to get the rounding. With the teeth included in the original sketch, filleting wasn’t enough for the desired roundness, so splitting the body with the ellipse was a better way to go.
This is the final product of claw 2, which didn’t come out as great as claw 1, but also has some different anatomy due to it being a different type of claw, the crusher claw, as opposed to the pincer claw.
Lastly, these had to be sent to the main project with the rest of the body in order to be fit and attached for printing. The arms attaching the claws to the body had to be made. They were made by using the sweep tool, and then being rotated to give the arm-like shape. Then it was mirrored so both arms would be identical.
- Printer used: Ultimaker 3
- Layer height – 0.2mm
- Support – off
- Percent infill – 20%
- Time to print – 25 hours
- Filament brand: eSun PLA