Prop

For the prop project I decided to 3D print a plant cell for Dr. Thompson. I took her genetic plant engineering class last spring, which is where I got the inspiration for this project. I based the design off of the following google image

Process

In Fusion 360, I started this project by creating a hexagon shape for my base and then extruded it upwards. From here, I made two more hexagons on top of the original shape to create the cell wall. On the face of the hexagon I sketched out the different components of the cell, such as the nucleus, lysosomes, mitochondria, etc. These were then extruded to varying heights and the nucleus was turned into half of a sphere. Next, I made two seperate bodies, one being the hexagon base, and the other being the cellular components. This was done by utilizing the cut function in order to make a puzzle out of this plant cell replica.

3D image of what the final product will look like.
Blue print of plant cell

From here, an STL file was uploaded onto the Ultimaker 2 and the plant cell was printed.

Printer Settings

Layer Height: 0.2mm

Support: No

Adhesion: none

Time to Print:  8 hours 30 minutes

Amount (grams) of Filament: 145 grams

Infill: 18%

Type of Filament: Esun PLA

Thingiverse Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4021081

Leave a Reply