Sebilj

For my building, I decided to create the Sebilj which is located in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Sebilj, a historial landmark built in 1753, is located in the centre of the Bacarsija square and brings back a ton of fond memories for me. In fact, I was just taking pictures there this summer! Around the Sebilj, you can see a ton of tourists taking pictures, pigeons flying all over the place, and locals selling assortments of seeds so that tourists can feed the birds! Here’s what it looks like most of the time!

Sebilj with pigeons flying around!

I decided to use this image for the purposes of my 3D-printed Sketch because it is clear to see and doesn’t have the distractions of people and birds in the background.

Link to image: https://www.planetminecraft.com/project/sebilj-old-ottoman-drinking-fountain—sarajevo/

The first step in making sure that I could model this building included making the basic structure of the building – which primarily consisted of creating various sizes of octagons stacked on top of one another. In order to do this, I would sketch out one octagon. Extrude another one on top of the already created one, and go on so forth until the ideal shape was achieved. Here’s how it looked:

After the basic structure was created, I decided to go ahead and start making the designs on the building. I quickly realized that the designs were mostly mathematical in structure – that is, they had a pattern. This was probably the most difficult part because I had to make sure everything was proportional, centered, and resembled the picture. I used a ton of diagonal lines to make the window shape, I had to make sure that I didn’t trace over every line with the lattice work – so I had to offset it and put spaces in between. I used a combination of triangles and lines for the small pattern on the bottom, and a combination of lines and arcs to make the pattern at the top of the side. For the pattern involving the triangles, I used construction lines and the mirror function to make sure that everything was symmetrical. For the bell shaped pattern at the top, I used the rectangular pattern. Essentially, they are both the same function. I found using the rectangular pattern a little easier. Here is what it looked like:

From here, I decided to go ahead and make the top of the building, which is another octagon basically extruded from the one on the bottom of it.

Extruding to the top

From here, I decided to go ahead and create the dome, which was extremely difficult to do. Essentially, I created an arc and rounded the corners to go ahead and make the top of the dome as pictured below.

After this, I decided to go ahead and copy the patterns on all of the faces of the building. In order to do this, going back in the timeline to each extrusions of the pattern was essential. First, I used the lattice extrusion. I used the functions create —> pattern –> circular pattern –> features —> pattern type —> model around axis (origin) —-> number of sides (8) for the octagon. Here’s how it looked:

I used the same functions to model the rest of the patterns around the building.

After this, I went ahead and created the pattern on top of the roof. In order to do this, I used the modify functions, pull curved surfaces, and dragged up about 2.00 m. I created a quantity of 10. I made sure that al of the lines were 0.2 mm on top of the dome.

After this, I completed everything I desired. Heres a look at the finished sketch:

Unfortunately, when I went to export this to Cura, the building was too big and not hollowed out. I had to go back into the sketch. I tried to hollow it out via the shell command but I was not able to due to the complex geometry. Thus, I had to make a tapered extrusion from the bottom octagon at a 45 degree tapered angle so that way I could eliminate a need for support material on the bottom. After doing the tapered extrusions, I did a section analysis to show where I need support:

Drawing from design:

Layer Height: 0.2mm
Infill Density Percentage: 18%
Filament Amount (g): 31 g
Print Time: 3 hr 2 min
Filament Brand/Material: ESUN, PLA
Support/Additional Adhesion: turned on, support density at 20%

Link to Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3905364

Leave a Reply