For 3D printing, we are making an action figure that needs to have 9 joints, one of the joints needs to be printed separately and snapped into place. This is my prototype hinge joint before making it with the action figure.
Design time: 30min | CAD Software: Fusion 360
Print Software: Cura |Printer: Ultimaker 2+ |Print time: 22 minutes
Link to STL file:https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3189263
- Create tab: Make cylinder diameter 9mm and length of 15mm
- Sketch on plane inside of cylinder a center circle with 7mm diameter, exclude this circle inside the 10mm diameter cylinder at a height of 15mm.
- Modify tab: highlight each piece separately and combine to cut.
- Unhighlight newly cut cylinder body
- Create tab: make new cylinder to fit inside the existing cut 9mm cylinder , use sketch center circle with a diameter of 6mm and extrude 20mm in height.
- Highlight the previously cut 9mm diameter cylinder and move 5 mm up the 9mm diameter cylinder , in my case 5mm on the Y plane.
- Highlight both bodies and rotate 90 degrees, so they are flat on the x plane, then move bodies to center axis.
- Make offset plane 7mm from center.
- Create rectangle on the Y plane measuring 4×2 and extrude by 3mm. Make a copy of this rectangle and move it down the cylinder 18mm in the X direction.
- Using the revolve tool, highlight the face of one rectangle and revolve 180 degrees around y axis, this is also where you select the offset plane made previously.
- Highlight new body and save STL file at “hinge joint”.
- nozzle size: 0.4mm
- layer height: 0.1mm
- wall thickness: 0.7mm
- wall line count: 3
- top/bottom thickness: 1.05 mm
- top layers: 3
- bottom layers: 8
- Print thin walls: checked off
- temperature of nozzle: 200 Degree C
- temperature of bed: 60 Degree C
- infill density: 10%
- infill pattern: zig zig
- support generated: support overhang angle 40
- support pattern: lines
- support density: 10%
- build plate adhesion type: brim
- estimated material used: 1 g
- material used: PLA
- print time: 22min