For 3D printing, we are making an action figure that needs to have 9 joints, one of the joints needs to be printed separately and snapped into place. This is my prototype ball and socket joint before making it with the action figure.
Design time: 30min | CAD Software: Fusion 360
Print Software: Cura |Printer: Ultimaker 2+ |Print time: 12 minutes
Link to STL file: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3189252
- Create tab: Make sphere that is 10mm> create a new body
- Create tab: make a cylinder that has a diameter of 5mm and height of 15mm>join
- Un- Highlight the newly made sphere and cylinder
- Create tab: make a sphere that is 11mm>create a new body
- Un- Highlight the newly made sphere
- Create tab: make a sphere that is 12mm>create a new body
- Modify tab: target body 11mm sphere clicked and tool body 12mm sphere clicked>cut
- Create offset plane on X plane -1.50mm distance
- Modify tab: split body tool highlight 12mm sphere as a body to split and highlight newly constructed offset plane as the splitting tool.
- Adjacent to newly cut 12mm sphere create a box that is 2mm length by 30.00mm width and extrude height to 10mm>new body
- Highly newly made rectangle and rotate to make an x (perpendicular)
- Combine newly made “X” as one body via the modify tab
- Drag “x” in center of a 12mm sphere, drag to through sphere leaving 75% of sphere out of the “x”. In the modify tap: combine tool, highlight sphere as body and the “X” as tool bodies > cut.
- Create tab: make a cylinder that has a diameter of 5mm and height of 15mm> join
- Create tab: make a sphere that is 11mm inside 12mm sphere to cut rest of cylinder inside the sphere and make it flush> combine to cut feature.
- Highlight ball and socket bodies and used the create tab to make a new component, label it “ball and socket”.
- Un highlight ball and socket bodies and the component. Highlight the 10mm sphere body with the cylinder attached to it and use the create tab to make a new component, label it “ball and shaft”.
- Save the “ball and socket” as one STL file and “the ball and shaft” as another STL file.
Print settings: make sure to rotate each piece 90 degrees on the plate
- nozzle size: 0.4mm
- layer height: 0.2mm
- wall thickness: 1.0mm
- wall line count: 3
- top/bottom thickness: 0.75mm
- bottom layers: 4
- Print thin walls: checked off
- temperature of nozzle: 200 Degree C
- temperature of bed: 60 Degree C
- infill density: 15%
- infill pattern: grid
- support generated
- support overhang angle: 40
- support pattern: zig zag
- support density: 15%
- build plate adhesion type: brim
- estimated material used: 2 g
- material used: PLA
- print time: 12min